This program features equipment for use at individual schools. To participate, teachers must have attended field trips or workshops involving biotechnology laboratory work at the BTC Institute in recent years.
Generally, equipment can be checked out for two weeks at a time.
Listed equipment is free to loan but you will be responsible acquiring and returning materials. Face-to-face pick-ups and drop-offs can be arranged around school hours.
For more information and to reserve equipment, please contact: Aidan Holmes, Associate Education Director.
Equipment Loan List
NEW – MiniOne Electrophoresis System and Carrying Case – includes:
- 1 x carriage with blue LED lights
- 1 x buffer tank with graphite electrodes
- 1 x gel tray platform for DNA viewing
- 1 x gel tray platform for colored dye viewing
- 1 x casting system (base and lid) with 2 gel trays and 2 reversible combs for 6 and 9 well gels
- 1 x amber filter photo hood for real-time viewing and capturing gel images with cell-phone adaptor
- 1 x 42V (output) power supply, 100–240V (input)
- 1 x 2–20µl variable volume micropipette
- 1 x SpiniOne centrifuge with one rechargeable battery (installed), space for up to four 0.65 mL tubes or four 0.2 mL PCR tubes
- 4 x microcentrifuge tube adaptors for use in the SpiniOne centrifuge
- 1 x micro USB cable
- 1 x electrophoresis carrying case
- 1 x laminated instruction sheet
Heat Blocks – for 20 tubes
Power Supplies – capable of running two gels @ 250 Volts
Horizontal Gel Boxes – with gel trays and combs (6, 8,10 and 12-well available for each)
Thermal Cyclers – holds forty eight 0.5ml tubes, requires mineral oil, does not have a 4°C hold, manual included for programming
Tabletop Minicentrifuges – low speed, capable of 3000 – 5000 rpm
Microcentrifuges – higher speed, capable of 13,000 rpm
UV Light Boxes – for use with Ethidium Bromide, FOTOVision, or other fluorescent nucleic acid stains
White Light Boxes – for use with methylene blue stain
p20 Micropipettes – for pipetting volumes from 1 – 20 uL
p200 Micropipettes – for pipetting volumes from 20 – 200 uL
p1000 Micropipettes – for pipetting volumes from 200 – 1000 uL
Vortex-Style Tube Mixers – for agitating small samples